Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cross-pollination: sometimes things don't get worse, they get better

Take this exciting new shake shop in West Hampstead.




I almost fancied myself in Ruby's or John's Garden Malibu as I browsed the menu. There were all sorts of tasty refined sugary American treats there - Fluff, Reese's Pieces, and the rest.

And, when I got to the bottom of my Peanut Butter Nutter, I realised the straw had a cool shovel bit at the end of it. Presumably for scooping up the delicious chunky bits. Positively Japanese in its cleverness.


Ideas do travel and consumer culture, well, consumes the good stuff. And this can lead people to commiserate the erosion of a native culture. (Though following the frenzy of Union Jack bunting that accompanied the Royal Wedding, I think Britishness is alive and well.)

Anyway, when it comes to the import of delicious big peanut butter and banana milkshakes, served with a smile, I say 'let Johnny Foreigner in!'

No comments:

Post a Comment