Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Baggage

It's an interesting process, moving house. It makes you look at your possessions in a new light. It makes you examine stuff to see whether it's worth moving. You also reminisce about some objects' former lives, the purposes they've served or the spaces they've filled in earlier homes. There are a lot of sentences that start with 'Do you remember when we bought this..?'.

One item that surprisingly, became the subject of just such a conversation is this:

Yes, that's right, cling film.

We moved it here from New York, in the Spring of 2011. There's also some debate about whether we actually moved it from Malibu too. 'I'm sure we bought that in Gristedes when we arrived in New York.' 'Really? I thought we had it in Malibu.' Weird conversation to have about cling film, isn't it?

Either way, it's been with us for some time, this cling film. It'll run out some day I suppose - and we'll be all nostalgic when it does. Not least because I bet you can't even buy rolls that big here.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh...American cling film. 8 years in this country and we still use it. It just works better. Call me when yours runs out and I'll bring you some back on my next trip to the states! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND PROPER ZIP LOCK BAGS -THE GALLON SIZE whoohooo! I brought a whole suitcase back with me (seriously) everything I own is in a zip lock of one size or another - they're just so darn handy!!!! Aubsx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you lot know all about quality food storage. I miss the full ziplock range.

    This might be controversial but I wonder... If the portions weren't so big to start with, would the storage for left overs be so good?! Just wonderin'...

    ReplyDelete