Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hot Cross Bun Surprise

Surprise! NYC does not sell proper hot cross buns. I had no idea they were so English, or at least, that the American version is so different.

I did a little hunting on chowhound and it seems there are a number of quality bakers who sell them. But I'm a little concerned by reviews saying things like 'I love the cardamon flavour' or references to pineapple icing. Frankly I'm not sure we're talking about the same food stuff.

Here's a photo of the offering from William Greenberg on Madison. Look! the cross is made of icing! Horrors.
Wrongness.

Goodness.

I will give the good artisan bakers of Chelsea Market a whirl this afternoon. Otherwise I suspect I will have to roll my sleeves up and bake 'em myself. If I do, I will use this recipe from the brilliant and thorough Felicity Cloake.

1 comment: