Thursday, February 7, 2013

Relinquishing control

Being mentally prepared for labour and birth is a good thing. Taking time to consider your preferences, and to document them in a birth plan, is a useful exercise. But it is generally recommended to keep any open mind. Anything can happen, and it's important to be able to go with the flow. Accept that the birth may take a different course than what you have planned, and don't freak out if you can't get into the birthing pool, or have an epidural, or it turns out to hurt way more than you expected.

Well, that's all very sensible. But I'm just not sure it's achievable.

I live a highly structured, fully itinerised life. I write things on lists and then I do (or buy) them. Things don't 'just happen' to me, and I rarely go with the flow. Sure, I like a bit of spontaneity - but only if it doesn't interfere with my plans.

So my plan for labour and birth is really quite fixed. I really want to use the pool, and I hope to avoid medical intervention. I have created several itunes playlists for different points in my labour and have written clear instructions for TLOML about which ones to play and when. (Yes, I know.)

Too specific?
I have also been quite particular about when I want all this birthing activity to happen. I'm trying to make a meeting with a literary agent early next week. Plus the cleaner comes on Wednesday morning. And my sister is in town next Thursday and Friday. So my ideal is for labour to start on Wednesday afternoon and be over by Thursday morning.

I know, I know, it's ridiculous. There's at least a two week window now in which my baby could make her appearance. And all sorts of circumstances could arrive which render my playlists completely redundant.

But I'm just really hoping for a like mother, like daughter scenario. Fingers crossed she'll be as keen on structure and plans as I am.

4 comments:

  1. Which Leonard Cohen? Not The Future, I'm guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strictly nothing post-1974. Just the guitar, his voice, and no 80s weirdness. I like the 80s weirdness but I just don't want my baby to be born to 'Jazz Police'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about the drugs, the drugs and the drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may love Leonard Cohen's music but I don't want to emulate his lifestyle. Drug free all the way! (reserving the right to change my mind after hours of labour...)

    ReplyDelete