Friday, July 11, 2014

A belated happy fourth

As I said, I've been too busy to blog. But we did find time to mark the Fourth of July - and I'd like to wish my American readers a Happy Fourth too. We had a G&T and a burger on our balcony overlooking the north sea, and felt very far from the US of A.

Back in Hermosa I believe the town was going wild. Apparently July Fourth is one big party. As we were leaving the flags were already going up.

Including some on our street: everybody woke up one morning to find a little flag outside their house. It was a rather sweet marketing campaign by a local realtor. You know how I feel about their ridiculous ads - but I thought this was a cute idea.


Until the next day. When another realtor had come along and put their flags - twice the size - next to the original flag.

Way to advertise yourself as a big old douche bag, right? I know who I'd want to sell my home. The first one, the agent with the good idea.

However I suspect in a land where bigger is better, and no commercial opportunity goes unexploited, most people will go with the guy with the larger flags.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, here's the thing about the realtor flags. They're kind of an LA tradition. Not an original idea from the first realtor at all, though I think we do have to give her points for distributing genuine cloth flags, rather than the hideous plastic ones that usually appear, and came to us via realtor #2. So. What was that first realtor's name again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that! Now I think the first realtor is a dope for not just going big (cloth or plastic, whichever) in the first place.

    ReplyDelete