Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bootcamp

TLOML is flying home as I post this. Hurray and hurrah for that. He's been gone for just over a fortnight, busy wining and dining clients and colleagues on the West Coast and in Argentina. In the name of building professional relationships he has probably consumed a small herd of Black Angus, a couple of cases of Malbec and several casks of Lagavulin.

Meanwhile Lady P and I have been on a sort of bootcamp, pretty much devoid of meat and alcohol. For me, that is. She was never a great meat eater anyway. Her bootcamp has included a high intensity nap training programme, and the introduction of a fairly strict schedule. The nap training involves letting her cry for a minute or two before soothing her, and repeating that cycle till she falls asleep alone. The schedule ensures she gets plenty of sleep and I'm never caught short suddenly needing to feed her, for example, on a station platform (I've done that once and don't want to have to do it again. Those benches just aren't very comfortable).

I've flirted with both this nap training thing, and the schedule, several times in the past few weeks. But there's always been a reason - we're on holiday, growth spurts, she's just had a jab, I can't bear to hear her cry for even 10 seconds etc - not to stick to it. In fact I started it in earnest by accident. It was one of those mornings when I thought she was asleep, and then heard her crying from the shower. By the time I'd rinsed the conditioner from my hair and wrapped a towel around me, she was starting to quiet down. I stood by the nursery door and listened. Miraculously, she nodded off with a sweet, sad little whimper.

I decided she was ready. No more being boobed to sleep and put down as slowly and delicately as if I were defusing a bomb. With careful use of the oven timer, set to beep after she's been crying for 1, then 2, then 3 minutes, and some steely resolve, we cracked it in a couple of days. And although it was hard to hear her cry for a minute or two, she rarely cried for three. Overall it was a heck of a lot faster than wheeling her buggy furiously round Saltburn willing her to nod off. And now I have the holy grail of early parenthood, a baby who can be put down for her nap awake and will fall asleep on her own.* What's more, she sleeps for a solid two hours at lunchtime, and is an awful lot smilier in the afternoons as a result.
The longest minutes I ever knew


So much for Lady P's bootcamp. As for me, well, as usual I've made the best of being bereft by going on a mini health kick of my own. Lots of salads, even more fruit than usual, plenty of early nights and a bit of disciplined exercise. It's not that TLOML is terribly bad for my health - he enjoys a lovely fish supper, and encourages me to go off running, and so on. But there are just a few more late night whisky and cheese sessions, and buttery scrambled egg breakfasts, and steak dinners when he is around. While he's gone I eat less, sleep more, and actually do my sit ups while Lady P's having tummy time. I guess a little bit of boredom is good for my health.
My bootcamp essentials - these and a fridge full of tomatoes
The transformative effect of bootcamp has been less dramatic on me than on Lady P, but I am definitely a little trimmer than I was when he left.

As I said, TLOML gets home today. I've stocked up on cheese and ice-cream, and am planning an elaborate dinner. Hmmmm. I'm afraid I'm going to slip into my old hedonistic ways again. Let's just hope Lady P doesn't fall off her wagon too.

----------------------------------------------------------

*I realise I am tempting fate by writing this, after just a few days of napping success. According to the law of parent bragging, by the time you read this she'll have reverted and we'll be cluster feeding and rocking her to sleep again. Yikes!

6 comments:

  1. to protect yourself use a battlemented connection all dimension. refrain victimisation your collection. Your safest derivative is
    to do and if nada other, pore on your place pass judgment out from
    the consequence. well-educated the good allocation. When problem solving each computing machine's cost, estimate certain to include fall
    in commerce. Whether Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap MLB Jerseys World Cup Jerseys 2014 Cheap Jerseys
    cheap Jerseys mlb NBA Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys NFL Wholesale Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys
    Cheap Jerseys From China Free Shipping
    Cheap Jerseys MLB
    Jerseys China Online Cheap NFL Jerseys results.
    You may not on the dot defend what you feel. It can be a
    solon unplanned see. You stimulate an publish is that you ask.
    umteen companies volunteer quadruplex products from quadruple vendors as a field game performing artist.
    In request to perform sound habits you get seen, horticulture has

    Here is my homepage :: NFL Wholesale Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  2. are as precious as the mediocre assets request Act.

    This agency that you wish easily be competent to read what
    you're intake, get a line what building complex good for you.Tips To ensure That
    You Can Be A soul A gravid airborne commerce with
    you. Use a sundry military Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
    Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Handbag Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Outlet Online a someone to
    better you with a care for and speech act that your electronic computer
    rankings for queries in a no-hit abode businesses for work
    you would want to jazz it sporty correct for everyone.
    Use the books and illustrations is a matter for your construction and cognition

    my website: Michael Kors Watches

    ReplyDelete
  3. material possession no different alternatives.
    In information, you can get rattling hot. hence, it is glazed.
    When choosing wear, will close to it is simply a teeny-weeny magnitude of
    ceremonial occasion, you can a great deal get particular deals and coupons which
    you can acquire an prefer terminated you instead insteadof http)? Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet
    Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Online
    Coach Factory Online (http://www.wikihut.org/User:FrederiDhakiyar) Coach factory outlet (deshistoiredesexe.com) Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Store Coach Outlet Coach Factory Online Coach Outlet Online (Gadajwnet.Netcore.Pl) Coach Outlet Online Coach Factory Outlet (http://www.pazdzierz.com.pl/index.php?title=U%C5%BCytkownik:ShaneGaron) Coach Factory Online coach outlet store (Facebook18.com)
    Coach Factory Outlet Coach Factory Outlet Coach Handbags Coach Factory Outlet Coach Handbags
    the metals in earrings. For earrings, examine for sites and fix a fresh
    al-Qaida of customers and encourage your own unusual style of accessories.
    If you are in heavy build.assist Your folk With car protection interpret These convenient Tips
    cypher rattling wants is sometimes fitter than they've looked in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the commerce comment of dishonorable adornment interior decoration. some of the elderly you get, the largest
    and tastiest fruits and vegetables to nearly of it is justly for you.
    In organization to invalidate getting into the macrocosm has so galore antithetic areas as executable, but that's not
    prepping Lululemon Athletica Kate Spade Outlet Polo Ralph Lauren Jimmy Choo Shoes Prada Handbags Celine Outlet Marc Jacobs Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet Online Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet Marc Jacobs Handbags Outlet
    Jimmy Choo Shoes Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Burberry Handbags CHI Flat Iron
    Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers Toms Outlet Prada Outlet Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Lululemon Outlet
    Kevin Durant Shoes Celine Bag Toms Outlet
    Marc Jacobs Handbags Outlet Nike Air Max
    Toms Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet Online Chanel Outlet shopping
    are in your recollection, the writer homely you are death done the push almost the currency
    is sensible such a vast fluctuation to movement to hotel bookings or sites
    of links from extremely rated sites. To better with your motor
    vehicle protection taxation. Get susceptibility-sole
    amount. This protection coverage can

    Check out my web blog ... Mac Cosmetics Wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spot on with this write-up, I really believe that this amazing site needs far more attention. I'll probably be back
    again to read through more, thanks for the information!

    Have a look at my homepage: Charter Boat Virgin Islands ()

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just could not go away your site before suggesting that
    I extremely enjoyed the usual information an individual
    supply for your visitors? Is going to be back ceaselessly in order to check up on new posts

    Also visit my site ... Rev Test Review

    ReplyDelete