Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Wedmin - the final furlong


I've been a bit quiet on the blog front lately, and for those of you who miss my regular babblings, I apologise. I've been kept a little busy at BigCorp, which is clearly untenable.

Rather more pressingly, there's the wedmin. These past few weeks it has reached fever pitch. Multiple trying on of many pairs of shoes, various bras and hair clips. And that's just the bridesmaids... Last minute disputes with the organist over the appropriateness of our musical choices. A Red Leicester production issue causing a panicked selection of an alternative hard cheese - and we're still not sure we made the right choice. Phew! It's a mountain of absolute trivia, and it's all so pressingly urgent!

And then there's the seating plan. I'll spare you the details of the debate, but in summary one of us said 'My friends just want to hang out with their friends', and one of us said, 'The English are so insular'. No prizes for guessing who said what...

Being, as we are, two halves of one soul, obviously we resolved that debate fairly quickly. Still, the whole plan took hours to create. It's like a house of cards: move one person and the whole thing collapses. Once it was perfected, we revised and re-perfected it about a dozen more times. Then a couple of guests changed their plans so we revised it again. Finally, I spent a rainy Sunday evening laboriously writing out the place names in my best, albeit still barely legible, handwriting.
I realise I didn't make any of that sound like fun. But actually, it really has been. Planning a great big party with me and The Love of My Life at the centre: what's not to like? Even the chores associated with it keep me smiling.

With just a few days to go till we walk down the aisle, I think I can safely say all the wedmin is fully taken care of. I'd miss it, only I'm about to be kept busy in other ways...  The US contingent are already beginning to arrive and the whirlwind is about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment